Friday, April 10, 2009

Yamaha R6 (2003 Model) Water Temperature Sensor

Finally I was able to connect my "Welling" to the Yamaha R6 (2003 model) ECU in order to acquire the water temperature.
I explayin how to do, looking to the Yamaha R6 electrical circuit manual, the water temperasture sensor (#23 in the picture) is directly connected to the ECU:

Therefore is quite simple to connect it: just take a cable and solder it on the ECU connector G/W (Green/White- mainly is a green cable with a little white stripe) cable, bring it to the XE164 KeyChain and compute the temperature as:
uiTmp = (unsigned int) ( ((float) ( uiTemperature >> 4) ) * (-1.32) + 127.42 )
/*
uiTemperature is the 12-bit ADC converted values, before temperature calculation I reduce the precision to have stable temperature visualization (I do not need so high precision)
*/


I've used such equation since I have desumed from the Yamaha manual the following NTC curve (it declares that the NTC has 6.37KOhm at 0°C and 0.35kOhm at 80°C):
Temperature Vs. NTC resistance

The same could be plotted as Temperature Vs. ADC Voltage
Temperature Vs. ADC Voltage

Looking to the same, but plotting Temperature Vs. ADC value in the range 60°C .. 110°C (the most important temperature range), we get:
Temperature Vs. ADC value
and this is what I measured:

After a little rearrangement, I fit it better:

Now I calculate the SLOPE and the INTERCEPT (I assume a linear equation to have a simple calculation):
SLOPE = -1.32
INTERCEPT = 127.42

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Max, I am reading back your post. What is it at the temperature A/D:

"Now I calculate the SLOPE and the INTERCEPT (I assume a linear equation to have a simple calculation):
SLOPE = -1.32
INTERCEPT = 127.42"